I really quite enjoyed my Sunday in the city gallery hopping with my mom and 3 month old baby.
I went to all of the suggested galleries, and many more. The nature as artifice exhibit was exhausting: too much of the same thing; too much of the same media per artist.
The Maya Lin was -in content and style- so much more than every other suggested gallery! Even suspended from the walls and ceilings, her art gives off such an earthly grounded feeling.
The holographic exhibit was mildly entertaining- after about 4 or 5 I felt as if I had seen it all.
The Richard Tuttle exhibit at Andrea Rosen Gallery was wonderfully colorful,- but I just didn't 'get it'. Furthermore, the artist's statement seemed more like a round of "20 questions" than an actual statement, but I enjoyed the fact that the statement made me think about his work beyond its surface value.
I found myself depressed at the sight of Barthelemy Toguo's Pregnant Mountain exhibit. Nice paintings, but they exude an subdued gruesomeness that leaves a bitter taste in my mouth. I couldn't understand how the name of the exhibit correlated to the work...
Off the suggested list- and definitely more interesting- was the Will Ryman work in the Marlborough Gallery. Wonderful sculpture!!!! Large flowers and bugs made out of mesh wire, resin, paint, and pipes. Oversized 'litter' cigarette butts, golf balls, even a starbucks cup and potato chip bag. People were entering and leaving with smiles on their faces-- art that is fun! That was most certainly a highlight of my trip!
The Gagosian Gallery also harbored a spectacular luster that delighted my senses: Anselm Reye's Monochrome Age. The playful straw bales covered in silver paint, the shiny and seductive purple piece, and the chrome monolith: all wonderfully playful and engaging works. The reflective surfaces make the person who is looking at it part of the work.
I must have walked into about 15 to 20 galleries over the course of the day, and although I didn't find even one work of ceramics, I will keep looking. This is the east coast where ceramics has little to no clout in the fabricated clique of the art world (if only I were in California- then I probably would have come across a bunch of them). My old ceramics teacher will be able to tip me off to some good ceramics galleries... I'll have to contact her!
Some photos will follow- but I didn't get business cards. I got press releases and glossy postcards which I want to keep. But I will photocopy the ones I went to if you want us to hand in some proof.
Tuesday, September 29, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment