Wednesday, October 14, 2009

chapter 6 "the studio visit"

points of interest/quotes from the book that I thought I would like to share:

1. "A living artist's first living retrospective is a time of reckoning, not just for critics, curators, and collectors, but for the artist himself and his dealers." (p. 185)

2. "Dealers and editors are conspirators."

3. "Murakami is unusual among artists in acknowledging the collective labor inscribed in his work." -a statement that expresses his humble attitude.

4. "I used to assume that they didn't have anything substantial to offer and that their main goal was to surround themselves with fame and fortune. But Takashi's got bigger ambitions."

5. "Murakami admits that even in japanese, he had 'no power to communicate in words. That is why I twist to the painting."

6. "Operating the people oand working on the art are completely different. Every morning, I upset people" -on murakami's work attitude and position being the boss running the show.

7. "Takashi's practice makes Warhol's look like a lemonade stand or school play."

No comments: