So, even though I don't see myself going to grad school anytime soon, I did look up a number of them so that if I could live my dream life (gracefully juggling my family, work, and school with time to spare for a nap once a week), I would consider applying to these schools.... No order of importance, mind you- this is really a fantasy for me until my kids are at a more independent chapter in their lives. Anyhow, here goes:
1. Alfred School of Art & Design http://art.alfred.edu/graduate/mfa-ceramics.html Voted #1 of the best grad schools by U.S. News. This would totally be my top choice if I could live my dream life- but it's way out in west NY state. Unrealistic for me to say the least, but I like what the faculty is making and I was impressed with the online photos of the studios.
2. Rhode Island School of Design www.risd.edu/graduate/ceramics/Default.aspx Also in the list of best grad schools by U.S. News at #3, this is also a really fine school! I know a few people who went there- financially it is WAY out of my league! The field work in other major cities would present travel and family issues for me. What I heard from my friends, it is a really intense and challenging program, but I would be up for all that!
3. Ohio School of Fine Arts www.finearts.ohio.edu/art/programs/grad-mfa-ma/ceramics Another school with high rankings in the 'best grad schools' list. I would never move my family all the way to Ohio for the sake of my education, but this school also interested me. I liked the faculty statements and their work was very unique. I like the approach to graduate education. But Ohio???? Na- I live, work, and have my family cemented here for long time to come.
4. University of Oregon http://art-uo.uoregon.edu/index.cfm?mode=areas+page=ceramics-courses Also on the 'best grad schools' list, but it is a 3 year program. I like the educational philosophy that the school has and I would totally love Oregon (having been there a few times), but 3 years is too long for me,- other schools have 2 year programs. If my kids were at school all day, I would consider a progrm like this. I love school- so I could really wrp my head around this if circumstances permitted...
5. New Paltz School, Part of SUNY http://www.newpaltz.edu/ceramics/overview_grad.html Having lived near New Paltz, and knowing I could make the 90 minute drive there at least twice a week, I think this is the most realistic option for me. I also liked the fculty statements, their work and the style of the program. All in all, this is the most feasible for me and my current life.
Sunday, October 25, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment