So I am setting this blog up to verify the items Megan told me I had due when we last had class about 2 weeks ago. I was told of three posts I didn't have:
1. Chapter 2-the crit
2. Alex Bag video response
3. Gallery visit response, week of Oct 16
The chapter 2 response is on the post just before this one, so it can be read there.
The Alex Bag video response I will write in this post. Weird it never posted because I watched that the first week of class and thought i posted it then. I have the notes in my book, and will write them down.
The gallery response will be in this post as well so it can be scrolled through right away.
I have also updated some of the image annotations in earlier posts from the beginning of November and October. I initially had a comment from Gerry about using more words to describe the work, and have done so. Hope it pleases-
Alex Bag video response:
Let me start out by stating that this is perhaps one of the lamest, cheesiest, most pretentious artsy-fartsy videos I have ever been obligated to watch! Everything about an art student that I can't stand, and then some...
Devoid of any interesting content, sex talk theme, don't get any implied message.
She says, "I don't care if I ever make any money for my work,- not gonna kiss ass." Sorry, but if you want to spend your twenties and possibly longer being malnourished and living in an eff'y apartment, then sure- hold onto those inflated holier-than-thou standards. Try having kids, then your whole perspective will change!
Bunnies kill Annie CPR doll- shitty content, a waste of video film. It's as if she's teasing the viewer with such crappy work to see if we'll bite and waste even more time even talking about it. NOT!
This woman is an obvious party girl -- lives the BFA (big fucking artist) lifestyle before even having a BFA.
Barely any maturation from year 1 to 2. She even copies --almost verbatum-- an episode of the british comedy "The Young Ones" in her next video skit! Did anyone else catch this?!
By the end: mask of self-contradictions, confused all the time, but honest and real! Final video shows a graduation of content and style... Not saying that I liked the end at all, but at least a marked improvement from year one/semester one.
Gallery response:
I went to the Nancy Graves exhibit at the Ameringer/McEnery/Yohe gallery on 525 w. 22nd st in NYC. I have the cards and press release for proof: I went on October 19.
WOW!!!!! Her bronze castings beckoned me from outside the gallery space. I actually thought they were ceramics at first, but then got inside and realized they were metal sculpture. Imbalanced in a balanced manner, dynamic, colorful, and not big(I like the tabletop size-makes it seem more accessible)! They have the feel of skeletal structures: the bones of it all. The color on the work makes the individual components blend together to present a cohesive assemblage. I will post the pics in a seperate blog following this one because I can't seem to post images without them being at the top of the actual post. brilliantly executed, but terribly unfortunate that she died so young of cancer, her work is inspiring! These kind of shapes could not be made easily with clay: they are made of such a strong material yet look quite delicate. The polychrome irridescent surface treatment reinforces the delicacy in my opinion.
Monday, November 30, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment