Sunday, November 8, 2009

Artwork I really love: content, skill, meaning…




Ai Weiwei. 100 Bubbles. 2008, porcelain. [A Chinese ceramic artist. I love the underlying theme of abundance, forced participation of the viewer- you are supposed to walk in and around the work- and the beauty of a sea of blue bubbles.]

Ai Weiwei. Watermelons. 2007, porcelain. [Another Weiwei piece that I love for its viewer participation! A masterful expression of technical skill with respect to form and glaze. If the shine weren't obvious on the forms, one might really think they were watermelons.]

Felix Gonzalez-Torres. Untitled(Portrait of Ross in LA). 1991, multicolored candy.

[Okay, not ceramics, but this piece is exemplary of forced participation of the viewer. My sculptural work and ceramics beg for the viewer to engage with the piece using more than eyes. People being part of the experience is what excites me!] Felix Gonzalez-Torres. Untitled. 1991, transparency paper.
[Another Gonzalez-Torres work inviting the viewer to take a piece with him/her. The humble stack commands attention.]

George Ohr. Untitled (free form bowl). Circa 1906, stoneware.
[Stretches the limits of what a bowl can be. This kind of handling of the material requires masterful skill, knowing how far you can exhaust the clay and tempering its consistency to bend and stretch without falling apart. The 'Mad potter' of Biloxi has been heralded as one of the most skilled ceramists of the 20th century. I love this piece for its organic contours- curving in and bulging out.]

No comments: